Saturday, June 11, 2011

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY MAYA & NY

my 1 year anniversary here in NY was on june 8th. in the 1 year i've spent here i've done a milestone of growing. i'd love to say i'm a millionaire, am living in a gorgeous loft and/or brownstone, have "made it", but not quite and let's be honest...this is real life. some may say i'm back at square one but i know i actually just time travelled back to the present to make a different choice and i'll keep time travelling until i make a choice that brings me to my final destination. deja vu? seemingly familiar terrain? auto repeat? no..just time travel :) i'm grateful for all the experiences i've lived both positive and negative, it makes my life that much more colourful!
speaking of colourful here's a lovely pic i took with the hubby heading to dinner to celebrate my 1 year. thank you nyc for challenging me and making me that much stronger!


all my iphone users follow me on instagram to keep updated via photos within seconds. you can click on the image or add my username: mayasworld


and some inspiring lyrics by my girl Alicia Key: Empire State Of Mind (Part II) Lyrics

Ooohh New York

Grew up in a town that is famous as the place of movie scenes
Noise was always loud, there are sirens all around and the streets are mean
If I can make it here, I can make it anywhere, that's what they say
Seeing my face in lights or my name on marquees found down on Broadway

Even if it ain’t all it seems, I got a pocketful of dreams
Baby, I'm from New York
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Hear it for New York, New York, New York!

On the avenue, there ain't never a curfew, ladies work so hard
Such a melting pot, on the corner selling rock, preachers pray to God
Hail a gypsy cab, takes me down from Harlem to the Brooklyn Bridge
Some will sleep tonight with a hunger far more than an empty fridge

I'm gonna make it by any means, I got a pocketful of dreams
Baby, I'm from New York
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These street will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Hear it for New York, New York, New York!

One hand in the air for the big city,
Street lights, big dreams all looking pretty
No place in the world that can compare
Put your lighters in the air, everybody say yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

In New York
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Now you're in New York!

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These street will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Hear it for New York!

3 comments:

Tasha said...

My sentiments exactly!! Those lyrics explain my move to NY as well!!!!! We should link for coffee or lunch sometime.

void said...

happy 1 yr anniversary! :)

honestly- I've only been to NY once. It was a day trip to see the color purple on broadway and I only saw the Times Square area. NY is like no other city I've visited. I'll definitely be back.

FLY LADY DI said...

BREATHTAKING PHOTO!!!!!!!! WOW WOW